Monday, March 28, 2016

Growing popcorn in the garden


One of the things I would very much like to add to my gradual garden is popcorn. I just love the stuff. Doesn't everyone? When I was a kid, my Dad experimented with growing multicolored popcorn. I was fascinated. Plus, it didn't seem all that different than growing regular corn. So between watching my Dad and looking a few things up to jog my memory, I'm pretty sure I can tell you what you need to know in order to add popcorn crop to your garden.

Can you do it with ease? Yes! It's not as fussy as you might think. If regular sweet corn does well in your garden, your popcorn harvest should be successful.

There are two basic types of popcorn growing seeds. The rice type seeds come in white only. Pearl type growing seeds are usually yellow but also come in blue, black, red, brown and multicolored. Why not try several varieties?

Do remember not to plant popcorn and sweet corn together as cross pollination will effect both varieties.

Plant popcorn in rows for optimum pollination. Popcorn cannot flourish without pollination from it's neighboring popcorn friends. This rule is true of all corn. Once again, it's vital to keep growing popcorn away from sweet corn in the garden.

Popcorn will grow in just about any soil but needs nitrogen and plenty of water. Fertilize with compost, fortified with grass clippings. Another great method is to plant beans around the growing corn. Beans are part of the three sisters compatibles and provide nitrogen for the corn.

Popcorn must be planted in warm soil. Plant only when the soil is warm and no frost danger remains.

You'll know that your popcorn's ready to harvest when the kernels are hard and the husks are growing dry.

Husk and hang the cobs in mesh bags in a cool dry place until ready to pop. Use test kernels weekly to see if the popcorn is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment