Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Non-toxic solutions for cabbage worms, courtesy of Mike


My brother, Mike doesn't have internet or a computer for that matter. He does things the old school way, which I happen to think is quite awesome. So, on the phone the other day, mentioned that some kind of critter was gnawing at his cabbage and broccoli on a yearly basis. Oh boy, sounds like cabbage worms, doesn't it?

I had some trouble with them a few years ago but had forgotten exactly what I did about it. Anyway, I offered to look up some natural solutions for him and sent the info to my niece in a pm. And of course, since what I do is write, I figured I'd write about it. So here you go.

When I read about using garlic juice and water, I said to myself, “Oh, right. I remember now!” I used garlic water as a pest repellent in the past and it worked quite well. I mixed a couple teaspoons of minced garlic in a water sprayer filled with water. Then I thought to myself, “The garlic is going to clog the sprayer for sure.” So, I used cheesecloth to strain it into another container, then poured it back in. My bad? I didn't even think of using garlic juice.

Apparently, there's been some study on the effectiveness of using garlic as a repellent on cabbage worms. It seems to yield better results than common, commercial insecticide. Who knew? Anyway, if you want to try it, the article I read suggest using just a small amount of garlic juice in a spray bottle filled with water. Their recommendation was 99 parts water to one part garlic.

If you already have cabbage worms, try using diatomaceous earth. You can find it in major garden supply stores, retail greenhouses and home improvement stores with garden centers. Sprinkle it on and around infested plants. The fossilized shells it contains are extremely sharp, at least for cabbage worms. Incidentally, “DE” is also a great tool for ridding your home and garden of other pesky critters. It's non-toxic for humans.

I have to add that when battling cabbage worms, you should also make sure your plants are very well fertilized and cared for as healthier plants always fare better when it comes to infestation and disease. Space cabbage and other head veggies at least a foot apart. This cuts down on the moisture that worms love and slows the migration of pests from one plant to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment