Sunday, July 27, 2014

About Gardening Gradually

Garden squash Copyright Jaipi Sixbear 2014
What do you do when you move into a fixer-upper house on a budget with plans for a spectacular garden in your head? You garden gradually, just like me. You learn to do things on the cheap. You learn that fabulous, breathtaking gardens don't spring up magically overnight. You learn that there is beauty in the small triumphs, the sweat equity and even the constant weeding.

And then, you get the urge to share that with the rest of the world. At least, you do if you're a writer, like me. Hence the creation of this blog.

This morning it was pouring rain. I haven't been able to weed much for weeks because it happens every single day. Oh, it stops and the sun comes out but it's muddy out there. Really, really muddy. It's gross, you guys.

So when I do weed, like yesterday when I unearthed the strawberries from the tangled mass of weedy vines, I come back into the house covered from head to toe. I look like swamp thing, the gardening version.

It's fantastic!

After yesterday's muddy foray, I found myself reveling in the earth that covered me, sucking down strawberries, letting the juice run down my face, while rejoicing in my triumph. And ya, eventually I did take a shower. I'm not a nut case. But it was still a wonderful, muddy, disgusting, delicious adventure. Or maybe it's just a gardener thing.

You be the judge.

Meanwhile, if you're not afraid of a little dirt, especially if you revel in it, I invite you to join me as I gradually garden my way to my dreamy backyard paradise. It may take a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment