Monday, March 30, 2020

Garden imperfection is heaven to me


I don't garden to produce high yields or impress the neighbors. I don't believe gardening is about knowing all the rules or even following all the conventional ones I do know. And ya, I know a little. Been doing this a while. But I don't think that makes me any better than the average beginner. There's a free spirit to this hobby that I embrace fully.Without imperfection, gardening looses it's appeal for me.

Funny story:

The other day, I saw a Craigslist ad for free dirt that contained a multi-paragraph dissertation about the difference between dirt and soil, It listed the credentials and affiliations of the person offering it and how you should use the free dirt in precise detail. So, the free dirt wasn't exactly free. It came with a lecture that assumed the recipient was an absolute idiot. No thank-you. You can keep your free dirt and your unsolicited advice as well. PS - You're not that special and kind of snotty as well. LOL

I like my garden full of mistakes.

I like nature to show me the way. Screw ups are not just learning experiences or a chance to “do better” next time. They reveal something far superior in my opinion. They show us how nature does things. They show us the natural flow that we should be following.

I don't manipulate my garden.

I get lost in the beautiful imperfection of doing things the natural way. There are no nasty chemicals allowed in my yard and garden. I don't believe in artificially created landscapes. Nature is so much more beautiful and sustainable. I feed the birds, bees and bunnies as well as all the little microorganisms that are vital to our survival.

My garden is not about stress.

It's about peace and tranquility. Sweating the details takes away from the reason I garden. My garden is my happy place. Forcing things, conforming to or dwelling on the rules makes gardening feel like work. And of course, there are things that have to be done in the garden. Still, there's no need for obsessing over whether everything is by the book.

I love gardening

I want to keep loving it. That's why I love the imperfection of it all. Rigidity in gardening compromises nature. And isn't getting closer to nature what gardening is about?

No comments:

Post a Comment