Thursday, December 8, 2016

What to get an organic gardener for Christmas

Are you browsing through gifts for your friendly, neighborhood organic gardener? Why not? Don't you love me? I shared all that zucchini with you last year, remember? OK. You caught me. This is actually my wish list. Hey, if I don't get it out there, how will anyone know? So, from pricey to dollar store, common to unusual, here's what this organic gardener would like for Christmas this year. Chances are, your favorite organic gardeners may have the same sugar plums dancing in their heads.

A rototiller would be awesome, thank you!

Every year, we rent a rototiller to break up the soil. Every other year, we do it late because someone forgets how early crops need to planted. I don't know how he forgets. I nag him enough. So this year for Christmas, if you really love me, please put a pretty red bow around the biggest, toughest rototiller you can find. I will repay you in produce, since my garden is likely to be more prolific if I actually get it started on time.

A garden gadget or two is always welcome.

But please do not get me anything “As seen on TV.” Do not get me that rotating spiked weeder on a stick. I already have one. It sucks. Likewise that wrinkled up cloth hose thing. Bought it Used it once. It sprung about 25 leaks. Just goes to show you, don't believe everything you see in a demo video.

Please get me anything that makes gardening easier.

I'm not getting any younger. I need all the help I can get. You don't even have to buy anything. Will you work the garden for food? I promise I won't make you hold up a cardboard sign. If you're feeling lazy, though, just head for any home improvement store. An organic gardener can never have too many hoes, shovels or bottles of earth friendly pesticide. Smaller budget? The dollar store sells hand gardening tools.

How about a load of compost?

Every year, I get free compost from the hospital where my daughter works. I also make my own. For some reason, it's never enough. My veggies are hungry! So, if you have a truck, don't offer to move me. Just head on over to your local landscaping materials center and fill that baby up with the good stuff. Heck, you can dump it right smack on my front lawn for all I care. It needs some love anyway.

Every organic gardener loves GMO free seeds.

The problem is, not everyone knows where to get them. Confused about what seeds your favorite gardener might like? Just buy an assortment. Got an organic gardening fanatic who's trying to survive the apocalypse? Check out the seed bank assortments. These seeds last for seven years! Hey, who knows? There have to be some survivors . I'm pretty sure if I'm one of them, I'll still be here, working my garden, like always.



No comments:

Post a Comment