Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Crazy harvests every day!

Today's harvest (copyright 2014 Jaipi Sixbear)
This year, the gradual garden is producing way more produce than expected. I guess it doesn't know that it's just a starter garden and not a fantasy garden. Not sure if it's all the rain we're getting or if I'm just plain awesome. Ya, that's it. I'm awesome. I'm pretty sure of it.

Anyway, every day, I go out and harvest dinner or lunch or whatever for Gary and I. It's just the two of us right now, with the grand-kids on vacation, so there’s no need to pick it all until we're ready to eat it. Today, I found that our cucumber plants are going nuts so I picked a few more of them than we need today.

I also found more of these gigantic beets. We've already eaten a ton of them. We love them raw in salads. We're not too crazy about cooked beets. They just seem so bland and mushy. We like the raw, crunchy stuff around here. It's better for us anyway. No point in cooking all the nutrition out of our hard work, now, is there?

In fact, everything in the garden is doing well except the corn. Sigh... The earwigs have become a real nuisance. We have gotten rid of them now, but the damage they left is sad. We have some awesome corn that is nearly ripe, but not as much of it as we would like. A moment of silence for the corn, please.

I thought you might like to see that what can even come out of a not yet fantastic, dream garden wannabe is pretty cool too. Yup, that's our harvest up in the picture. So, if you're building your garden up, one gardening season at a time, like us, don't despair. It may not be huge yet, but it can still produce some pretty yummy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment